Need a bag, jacket or sofa that represents zombie style? If yes, come let us show you some of those bags with some stories in it. A bag or jacket that will tell the story instantly without keeping you waited for years. But how to distressed leather jacket or sofa has been troubling us for years. For answering this question wisely what you need to do is follow some of the crucial ways that can easily help you work with your already in use bags and make them distressed or aged category one.
What is distressed leather?
You might have seen me talking about distress leather but what actually this term describes to you. This question when is answered then simultaneously you will be able to understand my point of examples and methods importance. Distressed leathers are the type of leathers that are made to look like ages old, but in reality, they are not so older. In the case of making, the leather look older, the actual reality of leathers are not lost and kept intact.
What to do to get distressed leather bags?
For any type of distressed leather bags, it is a must for a user like me to focus on the regular and maximum usage of bags. When I put my bags on daily usage basis then slowly the leather starts wearing out and scrapes starts coming over them. Even these bags could be exposed to stains, dehydration, sun affection, etc. for better results. In fact, I felt ignoring regular cleaning of bags helped my bag more in taking a right distressed look.
In fact, apart from the usage tips, some more ways could help in getting your bags leather being distressed. But what are those ways of distressing leathers at home needs to be followed? Here are some of my ideas that I would like to share with you all.
- Sometimes it has been seen that alcohols to work in a better way for leather. Thus I have tried the spray of alcohol over my leather manufactured bag. After spray, I literally rubbed the portion with a toothbrush, and slowly this turned the area damped. The occurrence of excessive dryness by the alcohol slowly the portion of leather starts wearing out leather and looks distressed. This helped me up to a great extent for a perfect old aged look.
- Apart from this method, another good procedure was to rub the area with the help of sandpaper to get a worn out look. But using perfectly fine granule sandpaper is more useful. I usually looked in for areas that were already ready to tear up, and it gets easier for me to work accordingly but faster. An overdose of anything is not good, so the same follows here while I was working with sandpaper over my leather bag.
- I also applied the wire brush over my bags in order to get answers to how to distress leather bags. In fact, this works even better than those sandpaper tricks and thus helped the leather of bags be centrally distressed. Though this trick worked well later, I even decided to take my bag on a long drive by tying the knot behind my car. This brought in a quick result with even better clarity. No other processes could have done this type of work ever.
How to Distress Leather Boots?
Distressed boots are often attractive and also full of comfort. Then how could one miss this opportunity of getting distressed leather boots? Though this process took a lot of time but yet I decided to turn my new boots to old aged and distressed ones using some steps. The initial step which I followed was to get my boots prepared for this. I stuffed my boots using old newspaper and later kept them somewhere separately such that they are safe and clean.
I was though bored of my boots style and comfort zone, so I tried softening the leather in order to get them easily distressed. For this, I tried to insert baseball inside socks and then into my boots. After this, my boots were swinging in order to dry up faster. In order to avoid hitting other substance, I personally kept the boots aside hanging all alone. Ultimately my boots were perfectly done.
Another typical method which I followed was hitting my boots using a hammer. Now you might ask me why I used this trick. Could it even destroy my boots? But probably this did not happen. Hammering the boots along the toecaps and heel side would help your boots to soften up and become distressed easily. Once just like me if you try out this process then you won’t ever raise thought on how to distress leather boots at home single-handedly.
Sometimes applying shoe polish on boots could also distress the leather. But probably this works fine after alcohol is poured upon your boots. I tried this method, and soon the result which I saw was surprisingly unexpected. After rubbing alcohol and applying black polish, it was found that slowly my boots started to wear out and get distressed. If you want the polish on to lighten up, then you can also spray some water on it which I did but at a later period of usage.
Another but the easier step was the use of wax over boots. This is done only when you are satisfied with your shoes distressed look and want them to retain for a longer period. In this situation, this trick of shoe wax works well.
How to Distress Leather Jacket?
Distressed jackets of leather are in trend for quite a long time. This trend of styling has fascinated the entire generation from time to time. Probably this is the real truth, but yet apart from this, some more is still hidden from your eyes. It is quite unbelievable to treat new jackets as older ones and then distressing them. This is the only styles going on with the trend then how could you step aside. Fortunately, this style of worn out leather has been an evergreen style that won’t die ever.
But have you wondered how you could distress your jackets at home? Probably you won’t have any idea for this, so let me help you with some of my special tricks.
- If you are bored of seeing your friends carrying these distressed jackets and making you jealous then why not you try this trick upon your old coats? Try using spray bottle technique to spray alcohol on jackets and rub them slowly for a perfect distressed leather jacket that too without any worn out pieces. Spray bottles have been used for the past years.
- Other than alcohol I even tried wire brush method which was though similar to alcohol method but acted differently. A wire brush works in a smooth manner for creating your leather jacket as distressed one. Initially, the jacket might be a bit rough, but slowly it turns up to satisfy users.
- You can even try my method of sandpaper along with alcohol drops.
While I did not agree upon these techniques, then some of the customers even gave me an idea to throw the jacket over some baseball ground. With this throw, my jacket would clean the area of ground and slowly wear out with unwanted dirt. Ultimately I would get a piece which I ever dreamt off. But this could be risky at times. So I would recommend you to try it at your own risk. For me, it’s still the above-mentioned techniques of alcohol and wire brush procedure that can work out smoothly.
How to the distressed leather sofa?
In the case of sofas, this question of how to distress leather has still been a mystery for people. This process of getting distressed sofa set has been a more unique but progressive one that will attract guests at your place. Distressing is not a work meant for sofas, in fact, this can be used for all leather oriented materials. Distressed sofas can be seen only at some of the special stores. This is because as some of the crowd still exists who love distressed sofa sets at their home.
In the case of this distress sofas creation often some facts need to be focused on. Now, what can you focus more is the actual quality of material being sued by the company? Once I ignored this point and had to face tragic loss through my new sofa set. So, it would be a strong recommendation to work accordingly. It all depends upon your room’s décor. If the décor is a bit rustic and your sofa is too shiny to fit in. Then probably one can easily adapt distress sofa look.
Some of the methods that can be adapted by you for distress sofa creation are:
- At the initial stage what you need to do is wet your sofa using a bucket. But do remember to keep it far away from electrical appliances. Don’t try to be a fool like me and act without any security. After this, you could easily get a chance to scrub your sofa with a brush. Being thoroughly soaked in water the sofa becomes wet enough to get a distressed look. There would be less damage on seats that are deep.
- Once you are done with setting sofa, then get the set dried using a blow dryer. But do keep the dryer at its maximum temperature. While I was trying this method, I preferred to take a maximum heat generation process as this worked faster and soon the cracks started appearing over the sofa leather. In case while doing this if you feel like cracks are small then try doing the procedure once again. This will help the cracks grow up a bit.
- Now apply a thin coat of wax named microcrystalline over the surface of the leather. This will help the sofas to be stiff and hardest one. If while applying this you get worried, then let me make it clear to you that there is no need for any worry as this method is already tried by me. I assure you of great safety and better results. In fact, you could also try sanding method and bend leather process.
How to distress worn leather:
There are various methods that can be used by all for getting perfect distressed leather materials. But the one that I prefer is totally different from them. This usually includes a number of steps for different leather materials. You might assume that even after taking good care of your leathered materials still, they wear out. Then how could you fix them in order to get the perfect look? For this let me tell you a short story and guide you how even worn out leather could be fixed for a better outer look.
Now the question that you could raise for me is how this could happen? So let me show you with steps how are this happening:
- Firstly one can try rubbing alcohol with 90%.
- Try out rubber gloves. In fact, this has been strongly helpful as per my knowledge and experience.
- Finely grated sandpaper.
- Shoe polish along with alcohol.
- Shoe wax can be used especially for boots leather.
- I even tried a buffing brush for this work of distressing leather.
Fixing worn out the leather issue is easier with these steps being followed correctly by you. While I was using them, then I found the results to be positive and effective.
It is not always necessary for anyone to prefer having distress leather materials at home. But guys trust me this won’t reflect you to be poor. In fact, it’s one of the latest trends of fashion circulating around houses. So what are you waiting for come and grab the ideas from my note above and find ways of how to distress leather bags, boots, and sofa sets if required.
- 1 What is distressed leather?
- 2 What to do to get distressed leather bags?
- 3 How to Distress Leather Boots?
- 4 How to Distress Leather Jacket?
- 5 How to the distressed leather sofa?
- 6 How to distress worn leather: